Shitty artist’s impression of Demoman wearing Afro unique headgear. (Graphic: Lee Wei Meng/GameSync)
The recently rolled-out patch for Team Fortress 2 features the ability to delete those hard-earned achievement unlocks from your inventory permanently and reworked the character loadout screens to support future releases – which one Steam Forums user’s delving of the game files has revealed to be “lootable” items and unique headgear for all classes, among other things.
Dracula Guy posted a list of some attributes and strings from the updated TF2 game files that reveals game text revealing the coming addition of items that might be picked up from the ground in maps and also the ability to discard said items. Other interesting finds are loadout slot texts for slots labeled as “Grenade”, “Building”, “Primary PDA” and “Secondary PDA”.
Perhaps most interesting are strings revealing wearable headgear for all classes:
“TF_Unique_Headgear_Scout” “Batter’s Helmet”
“TF_Unique_Headgear_Sniper” “Tooth Belt”
“TF_Unique_Headgear_Soldier” “Soldier’s Helmet”
“TF_Unique_Headgear_Medic” “Medic’s Helmet”
“TF_Unique_Headgear_Pyro” “Pyro’s Helmet”
“TF_Unique_Headgear_Heavy” “Football Helmet”
“TF_Unique_Headgear_Engineer” “Mining Helmet”
“TF_Unique_Headgear_Spy” “Spy’s Helmet”
You can already check out what the item inventory screens look like by enable cheats (sv_cheats 1) and typing test_itempickuppanel, test_itemdiscardpanel and test_giveawayitem in the developer console.
Will we be seeing a more MMORPG-like TF2 experience? One player certainly thinks so:
2:40 PM – riffraff: THERE WILL BE ITEM PICKUPS IN GAME
2:40 PM – riffraff: ITS BECOME FUCKING TF2WOW
2:40 PM – riffraff: LATER GOT MOBS ALSO
2:40 PM – riffraff: THEN TOP CLANS START GOING FOR RAIDS
2:41 PM – riffraff: soon we will be watching mad dogz raid a level 60 dungeon
2:41 PM – riffraff: with full epic item set
Patch notes follow below.
- Reworked the character loadout screens to support future features
- Added the ability for players to permanently delete items from their inventory using the new Backpack menu.
- This does not reset achievements. Once an item has been deleted it can never be re-earned
- Added the ability for players to reset their player stats using the Reset Stats button on the Stats menu. This does not reset achievements
- Added a “player_teleported” game event that is sent when a player is teleported
- Updated cp_junction_final to score per-capture instead of per-round. This fixes the map not working correctly with Tournament mode and the stopwatch
- Scouts now drop the flag if they’re carrying it when they start phasing
- Fixed instances where Steam connection problems would cause some unlocked items to be unusable
- Fixed the custom crosshair menu not clearing itself when “None” is selected for non-English clients
- Fixed warning about not being able to execute skill1.cfg when starting the dedicated server