Only two more days to go, but what the hell. Here’s the instructions on how those not in North America can activate their copy of Borderlands on Steam before the “new” official launch date of 30 October.
Warning: I’ve not tried this personally, nor will myself or GameSync.net be able to take any responsibility should anything happen to your Steam account or copy of Borderlands. You may or may not be violating your End User License Agreement (EULA) with this workaround.
Basically, this workaround reroutes your network traffic to a US-based IP, which then fools Steam into thinking you are a North American user. Use at your own risk.
- Make an account using the site below or any other free VPN that you wish to use https://anonymitynetwork.com/members/signup.php
- Login to your account
- Wait for the site to generate your PPTP password
- Download the VPN tool for PPTP mode.
- Run that and select a US server to connect to.
- If you are on Vista or Windows 7 you may need to enter the PPTP password. On XP it should connect straightaway.
- Open steam and check that Borderlands is 100% ready
- Launch the game and you may get a command prompt that pops up then disappears, in this case restart steam and try again. Otherwise it should proceed to decrypt the game files.
- It may then do a small 30-40MB update and then install PhysX when you try to run it.
- Now you should be able to play the game, either set steam to offline mode or alt tab out of the game and disable the VPN. You will need to re-enable it if you close the game.
The instructions here are courtesy of GameSync.net reader Malice who posted them in this comment on our earlier news post. Thanks!