The Team Fortress 2 Soldier vs. Demoman update was released this morning (Singapore time), and the winner of the WAR! battle is none other than the Soldier.
The final kill standings were 6,406,065 Demomen killed, compared to 6,372,979 Soldiers killed. As the winning class, all Soldiers will receive an additional 4th item, a pair of war boots called The Gunboats.
Valve has stopped short of declaring precisely what sort of bonuses the Gunboats grants when equipped, and is leaving it up to players to guess for themselves.
Additionally, the new update adds more maps, a new capture-the-flag map called Double Cross, as well as new Demoman and Soldier achievements plus their respective class-specific unlockable items.
The full changelog for the update is as follows:
- Added new control point map Gorge
- Added new capture the flag map Double Cross
- Added item crafting
- Added work-in-progress TF Bots for beta testing in KOTH maps (blog post coming with more info)
- Added headshot death animations
- Added more backstab animations
- Added 35 new Soldier achievements
- Added 4 new Soldier items
- Added new Soldier Domination lines
- Added 35 new Demoman achievements
- Added 3 new Demoman items
- Added new Demoman Domination lines
- Now pretends to be carrying the weapons & wearables of the target he’s disguised as
- Moved the Spy’s camera-beard to the Misc loadout slot so he can equip it with a hat
- The Sandman now only stuns on a max range hit (when you hear the cheering)
- All shorter hits now force the enemy into the thirdperson fleeing state (also removed the damage reduction on them)
- Added new options to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog:
- Combat text, which displays damage amounts you do to enemies.
- Medic auto caller, which automatically shows you nearby friends at low health.
- Heal target marker, which better highlights the target your medigun is locked onto.
- Alternative Spy disguise menu, which lets you choose disguises using just the 1-3 keys.
- Fixed being able to affect friendly pipes with airblast (they would unstick)
- Added recharge sound to abilities with a recharge bar
- Fixed attachable wearables not staying on ragdolls
- Players no longer see the wearables that are a part of a friendly spy’s disguise, fixing various graphical glitches
- Added jiggle bones for Pyro’s chicken hat
- Added 2 new game startup songs
Community Mapmaker requests
- Implemented InputSetSetupTime() for team_round_timer (was in the .fgd but never implemented)
- Added “SetDispenserLevel” input to cart dispenser (1, 2, or 3)
We previously reported that Double Cross is a new game mode. This is incorrect, it is a new game map. The story has been corrected.