Yes, it’s the year 2010, and the first major Counter-Strike: Source update in years is now in public beta.
The update will be made available for free to all owners of CS:S once the beta ends. You can view a full list of the proposed changes at the end of the article.
Foppy says: There are no new maps, weapons, or game modes. Valve’s idea of a “major” update is to simply add Modern Warfare-style features (kill-cam, achievements, killstreaks/revenges) into CS:S.
I haven’t played Counter-Strike in years, but this major update just might be the lifeboost that the stagnating CS:S needs.
Features new to the beta
* 144 achievements added
* New lifetime player stats and summary screens
* New match player stats and summary screens
* New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player
* Updated scoreboard with new icons, visual style, MVP stars, and avatar pictures
* New cinematic death camera
* New domination and revenge system
* Added avatar icons to voice chat, scoreboard, and end of round display
* Incorporated many source engine updates